Today amid all of the excitement at BlackBerry Live 2013 we’ve launched the next version of our free BlackBerry Enterprise Instant Messaging (Enterprise IM) app. The app, available from BlackBerry World, allows employees to securely connect to enterprise IM platforms including Microsoft Lync 2010 and 2013, Microsoft Office Communication Server 2007 R2, and IBM SameTime 8.5 and 8.5.2. If your organization uses these services for collaboration, the experience is about to go mobile with BlackBerry 10.
Features of BlackBerry Enterprise IM 3.0
A value added service for BlackBerry Enterprise Service customers, BlackBerry Enterprise IM 3.0 is compatible with both BlackBerry Z10 and BlackBerry Q10 smartphones. Check out the list below for some of the key features that will keep your business moving:
- BlackBerry Security is built into both the app and the BlackBerry 10 platform, allowing you to discuss work matters confidently using your BlackBerry smartphone
- Chat with colleagues both one-on-one and in group conversations, allowing for flexible productivity
- Presence status is included to quickly indicate your availability
- Escalate a chat directly into a secure voice call from anywhere in the world
- Manage contacts by adding, editing, and deleting from your BlackBerry 10 smartphone
- Search for coworkers from your enterprise contact directory via the Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) or Active Directory for Global Address Lookup (GAL)
You must be connected to an instant messaging platform* and BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 version 10.1 in order to take advantage of the app and its functionality. Additionally, you’ll require a BlackBerry smartphone running version 10.1 of the BlackBerry 10 platform. Lastly, a BlackBerry Collaboration Service (BCS) 10.1 server component must be deployed by your IT administration.
*Note: Enterprise IM supports the following messaging platforms: Microsoft LyncTM 2010 and 2013; Microsoft Office Communication Server 2007 R2, or IBM Sametime 8.5 and 8.5.2.
Building on BlackBerry Enterprise IM for BlackBerry OS smartphones connected to a BlackBerry Enterprise Server, this updated BlackBerry Enterprise IM app supports regulatory compliance and delivers the security and controls required by many governments and industries. Messages are encrypted end-to-end, protecting the data as it travels through a corporate firewall.
Enterprise IM is definitely my preferred way to ask quick questions of my colleagues and to help everyone dodge email overload. Availability on BlackBerry 10 takes the productivity gains to a whole new level, and allows you to leverage your existing enterprise IM and BlackBerry Enterprise Service investments while expanding the offering to mobile devices for your employees.
Do you use enterprise IM to collaborate in your office? How would taking this functionality mobile benefit your work? Share in the comments below.