BlackBerry today announced that it will be joining the Android for Work program with Google. This will enable our cross-platform enterprise mobility management (EMM) solution, BES12, to manage Android Lollipop devices equipped with advanced security features to separate business and personal data and applications.
Backed by BES12, Android for Work creates a secure, dedicated profile for business data and applications. The BES12 solution will seamlessly integrate with the Android OS to enable platform-level containerization. This will eliminate the need for application wrapping, while providing unhindered access to Google Now and any Android application available on Google Play for Work™ that is permitted by an organization’s IT policies.
Android for Work focuses on three key themes:
- Enhanced security: New Android security features aimed at protecting business and private data
- Simplified management: New features to simplify IT administrator experience across both BYOD and corporate-owned devices
- Open platform for innovation: Partnerships with OEMs, ISVs and EMMs to leverage Android’s framework to offer greater device choice, applications and functionality.
Android for Work support will be included natively in Android 5.1 (Lollipop) devices and newer. Limited Android for Work support will be available to Android 4+ (Ice Cream Sandwich) devices via an after-market software download.
BES12 will provide organizations with the most secure and flexible way to manage Android for Work. Android Lollipop smartphones and tablets are natively managed within the BES12 environment, which streamlines management of all device platforms and usage models, such as BYOD or Corporate-Owned, Business-Only (COBO), in a single command and control center. BES12 will offer native support of Android Lollipop devices either on-premise or in the cloud, and will be supported by BlackBerry’s gold standard of mobile security, scalable architecture and trusted network infrastructure.
Note: BlackBerry continues to enhance its Secure Work Space containerization solution for iOS and Android. We announced today that more than 70 apps run on Secure Work Space today, currently more than any other containerization solution out there, including that of Good Technology.
BES12+Android for Work and Secure Work Space are only a few of the examples of how cross-platform BlackBerry is today. Others include value-added services like BBM™ Meetings, BBM Enterprise™ (formerly known as BBM Protected), VPN Authentication by BlackBerry® and WorkLife by BlackBerry®.
But what does it mean for our customers?
BlackBerry is your strategic EMM partner of choice regardless of which Android solution you choose.
No matter how organizations choose to deploy Android devices – Android for Work, Samsung KNOX or Secure Work Space – BlackBerry and BES12 will be at the center of their secure mobility ecosystem.
Backing this up are 5 key strengths:
- Industry leading security, trusted by the world’s leading businesses. BlackBerry is a security conscious organization with considerable external validation of our security implementation. We have achieved over 70 security certifications across the end to end BlackBerry solution including FIPS140-2 for BES12
- A single EMM platform to manage all devices and operating systems – beyond just managing Android devices using Android for Work, KNOX and Secure Work space, BES12 supports iOS, BlackBerry and Windows Phone – all through one pane of glass
- Flexible deployment options to meet the changing needs of businesses – on-premise, hosted in the cloud and soon, hybrid. Plus a choice of enrollment modes ranging from BYOD, to COPE to COBO.
- End user experience focused on mobile productivity – End users benefit too. BlackBerry has always focused on providing end users with a an experience that is intuitive and designed to allow for maximum productivity. Security is designed to happen in the background so that it doesn’t interfere with productivity but rather enables it.
- Rich enterprise mobility ecosystem – A rich enterprise mobility ecosystem of apps and services providing enhanced secure productivity.
BES12 support for Android for Work will be available for an invite only preview in March and will be available starting in the second quarter of 2015. For additional information, visit us here. To learn more about BES12, click here.
Follow us on @BlackBerry for all the latest news and announcements from Mobile World Conference 2015 (#MWC15).